Synopsis– Backend technology is liable for the manner of the site functionality, updates, and changes. Picking the right backend technologies behind the application is the first and the foremost basic step of this long procedure. There is a bunch of choices accessible while picking the correct backend technology you need to work with and each backend framework carries its own baggage of advantages and disadvantages alongside some considerable factors for settling on the ultimate decision.
In this feature, we’ll investigate both existing and fresh frameworks to assist you with the conclusion regarding the best backend structure.
Frameworks have become an important part of web development as the sophistication of the technology required for web applications continues to rise. It’s utterly impractical to try to reinvent the wheel with such advanced strategies, assuming you can do so.
Often modern web developers create their frameworks and development tools to speed up, streamline, and simplify their work. Web developers aim to keep up with the latest developments in web technology by using these methods.
A good web developer must be fast, adaptable, and dependable when it comes to completing tasks using best practices. The command of any programming language should be the most important thing for any web developer. They should also be kept up to date with the most recent technological developments.
As a result, creating rich and immersive web applications with frameworks supported by thousands of developers worldwide is a very sensible solution. Since a web app has a backend (server-side), we cover both backend frameworks.
- What are backend technologies?
- Few factors to consider in choosing the right backend technology
- framework for you application
- Guide to 4 parameters when choosing a Backend technology
- Elaboration of the best web development backend frameworks
What are backend technologies?
Backend Technology are the libraries of server-side languages that guide in creating the server configuration of any website. It is crucial to practice the right technology for creating sites or you can genuinely influence your application use.
As per Wikipedia, a framework’s fundamental goal is to mechanize the overhead related to software development exercises. The main benefits of practicing a structure for development are efficiency, Adaptability, Robustness, safety, Integrations, and Open-Source.
The best web framework for backend technology helps the developers to have a decent beginning by eradicating the need to create and configure everything without any preparation. They are also responsible for increment in productivity and effectiveness by giving code editors, server configurations, debugging and testing tools, pre-coded templates and reusable parts.
Few factors to consider in choosing the right backend technology framework for you application
Project’s appearance– Basic applications within the timeline, particularly MVPs need a distinct methodology in comparison to enormous products with heaps of functionalities. But, if you figure out to upscale later on for growth, always pick an adaptable stack.
product type– there are various kinds of products that are likely to need different stacks like Data-intensive apps, booking systems, social networking apps, streaming apps, CMS, IoT, FinTech apps, marketplaces, and easy MVPs.
Project’s price– open-source tools are usually free and good for commercial practice. This is advantageous for both developers and stakeholders. Apart from this, other tools are paid and licensed and prices are depending upon the developer’s capabilities which is fluctuating. But the niche stacks can be considered costly indeed. Furthermore, remember that the launch isn’t the end work on the application, you also need to maintain, upgrade, and conceivably upscale it.
Guide to 4 parameters when choosing a Backend technology
Each structure has its pros and cons based on its different types of experienced issues, yet it doesn’t imply that they are non-existent. However, at that point, there are necessary pointers to remember while selecting the right backend framework.
1. Convention– in convention, when we make an interpretation of this idea into the backend frameworks domain, it means to structures that have standard and predefined functionalities, the developer doesn’t have to carry out them. Convention is a normalized, generalized training, and usually taken by a huge community.
Pre-defined and time consuming functionalities
Black boxes or hidden codes
Extensive and broad community
Difficult to debug
Extra security required
2. Configuration– the configuration don’t have many characterized “conventions” executed, but instead pass on those implementations to the developers. They might not have authentication modules, predefined database management interfaces, among others and Control is entirely in the possession of the users.
Long development time
Complex for new programmers
3. Execution– These measurements are one of the most significant yet generally hard to measure in light of the fact that conceptually the importance of execution/speed lies in various perspectives. However, to work with the conceptualization practices, we can build up to it as the effect of a request on framework assets like memory, CPU, disk, among others.
One more significant point is the capacity with regards to simultaneous requests that can be taken care of in a specific timeframe. Although every application does not really need a database, it is also important to see how significant the connection between our structure and it will be. Since this can significantly affect execution relying upon our requirements.
4.Community– This is an essential moment to choose the correct framework since having a huge community recommends that it has better help or documentation. Likewise, potential errors that the programmer might confront, might have been recorded/settled by others.
5.Programming language– while picking a structure can genuinely diminish it to pick which programming language we need to practice and to make that decision there are a couple of variables to think about in advance like, intricacy or learning curve, versatility, community, noticeable quality, execution, domain, or reason.
Things to keep in mind before choosing a right Tech Stack
The company’s current stage
At every stage of your enterprise, your technology stack is critical. If you’re just getting started, your primary goal should be to get the MVP out as soon as possible. Any language/framework/CMS tool that allows you to put together a working prototype quickly should be a good match.
Demands of the project
Understand the project’s specifications before deciding on a tech stack. Is real-time functionality, such as a chatbot or live chat required for your app? In such instances, a concurrency-friendly tech stack, such as Node, should be used.
One of the most important considerations in determining your company’s technology stack is developers’ availability who will produce your product. Examine if your developers are eager and capable of working with the technology stack you’ve selected.
Costs of development and maintenance
The technology stack has a direct impact on the cost of construction. Developers must be highly qualified professionals, and the expense of recruiting them varies depending on the technology they use.
Here’s a rundown of the best web development backend frameworks:
1. Express js
Express is a Node.js application that is lightweight and fast. It adds a thin layer of basic web application functionality without obscuring Node.js capabilities. Furthermore, using the numerous HTTP functionality methods and middleware accessible, it’s simple to create a robust API. Express is used by several common server-side and full-stack frameworks, including Feathers, KeystoneJS, MEAN, Sails, etc.
- Excellent routing API
- Minimalist and unprejudiced
- The setup is simple, and the learning curve is minimal.
- There are a lot of plugins to choose from.
- Express takes pride in being a lightweight, fast, and agnostic system.
- It offers some core system functionality without obscuring Node’s features, and it takes advantage of the asynchronous Node.js’s robust efficiency.
- It’s also very adaptable, supporting both full applications and REST APIs.
- The architecture of Express.JS is not without bugs that can impact the operating cycle.
- Express’s most significant disadvantage is that there is no well-specified way of doing things, particularly for beginners.
Why is it popular js?
Many insightful statements about a tool’s impressive functionality and usable solutions can be heard. The most important factor, however, is its efficiency. Under this context, the most suitable metric for defining efficiency is the number of requests handled per second. Many web apps use this metric because the millisecond delay time is less critical than absolute throughput efficiency.
When to use Express js?
To build a new router object, use the Express. Router() function. When you need to build a new router object in your software to handle requests, use this feature.
Why do we use Express js?
Companies that are using Express js
Laravel is a PHP-based backend system that is known for its elegant syntax, ability to support large teams, and modern toolkit features. Laravel was designed to allow for comprehensive backend creation and fits the MVC architectural template. Laravel also has a powerful ecosystem and its own database migration scheme.
The most significant benefit of the Laravel system over others is that it uses many of PHP’s modern features. The majority of other systems are unable to accomplish this. You can use many new features offered by PHP with Laravel 5, such as interfaces, overloading, simpler array syntax, namespaces, and anonymous functions.
- Routing engine that is simple and fast
- It has its own CLI.
- A robust template framework (Blade)
- Documentation is excellent.
- Systems for Authentication and Authorization
- Convergence with the Mail System
- Implementation of Web Application Acceleration Tools
- Identifying and Correcting the Most Common Technical Weaknesses
- There is a lack of continuity between versions. There has been no apparent change from Laravel 4 to 5.
- At times, the quality is uneven.
- Some improvements can cause issues.
- Growth is significant.
Why is it popular?
For Exceptional Support & Performance, Use MVC Architecture. The model-view-controller (MVC) architectural pattern is included with Laravel. For Excellent Layouts, Use the Template Engine. Artisan CLI is a command-line interface that is incredibly simple and quick to use.
Insightful ORM for Easy App Database Interaction.
When to use Laravel?
Centered on object-oriented programming principles and the MVC architecture, Laravel can be used to create not only websites but also mobile apps. Laravel developers can build solutions of any complexity and size, from one-page websites to full-fledged social networks, thanks to a large range of built-in tools.
Why do we use Laravel?
Laravel aims to make development easier by simplifying common tasks found in most web projects, such as authentication, routing, sessions and caching. Laravel strives to make the development process enjoyable for developers while maintaining application functionality.
Companies Using Laravel
With its elegant and easy syntax pattern, database migration and schema builder software, simple and stable authentication method, and many other features, Laravel is a PHP MVC (Model View Controller) system that speeds up the development process.
LoopBack is a highly scalable open-source platform for building APIs and connecting them to backend data sources with little or no coding. In summary, it’s placed on top of Express. It includes a series of Node.js frameworks that can be used separately or together to quickly create REST APIs for client applications (anything from the web to browsers).
- Development of the entire stack
- Models and features that come pre-installed
- Extremely rapid growth
- The code is modular and well-structured.
- It makes it very simple to get started.
- StrongLoop offers a series of additional tools.
- Monolithic construction
- The learning curve is steep.
- In large and long-term ventures, it isn’t easy to use.
- Opinionated architecture may not serve all members of the community as well as express architecture.
- It’s not a good idea to start learning JS with it.
Why is it popular?
LoopBack comes with a variety of features right out of the box. A simple flag can be used to generate CRUD APIs for any model. User management with role-based API access, for example, is already available.
Loopback provides API swagger, which allows you to obtain API contracts quickly and communicates with them.
When to use LoopBack?
When a network interface is disconnected—for example, when an Ethernet port is unplugged, or Wi-Fi is switched off or not associated with an access point—no contact, including communication between your device and itself, is possible on that interface.
Why use Loopback?
Without a physical network, the loopback address provides a reliable way to verify an Ethernet card’s functionality, drivers, and applications. It also helps IT professionals test IP applications without having to worry about drivers or hardware that are broken or compromised.
Companies using Loopback
4. Ruby on Rails
Since Ruby on Rails is open-source software, you can not only use it for free but also contribute to its improvement. Rails have now received over 5,000 contributions of code. It’s not as difficult as you would think to join them.
Ruby on Rails is a well-known and dependable open-source MVC platform. It was created to make web application creation easier and faster. Furthermore, it enables developers to write less code than any other platform.
- The convention takes precedence over configuration in Ruby on Rails.
- Ruby on Rails has excellent tooling that makes it easier for developers to deliver more features.
- Ruby on Rails libraries are available for free download.
- The Ruby on Rails developer group is extremely helpful when it comes to testing automation.
- As contrasted to other programming frameworks, Ruby on Rails has good code quality.
- When compared to other development frameworks, Ruby on Rails has a rather sluggish runtime.
- Its boot speed is not up to par, causing it to perform poorly.
- It’s difficult for a developer to find documentation for Ruby on Rails’ codes and configurations.
- Multithreading is not supported by Ruby on Rails, unlike Java and other frameworks.
Why is it popular
Convention over Configuration is how we roll when it comes to optimizing for programmer satisfaction. Since its inception, Ruby on Rails has popularized these ideas, as well as a host of other contentious issues.
Companies using Ruby on Rails
Spring MVC is a Java application framework that allows you to create and develop Java applications. Furthermore, Spring MVC offers excellent features for developing applications on the Java EE platform. Spring MVC is a free and open-source platform.
- It’s not too heavy. In terms of size and functionality, the Spring Framework is extremely small.
- Transaction Management with Aspect-Oriented Programming (AOP).
- It’s a container.
- Injection of dependencies.
- Other Frameworks Integration.
- It’s a small container that can quickly deploy Tomcat servers.
- Tomcat server is deployed on a cross-platform basis without the need for AS.
- Provides a plethora of APIs for a variety of domains.
- XML, @nnotation, and java-config are the three options for configuration.
- Developers must include the JAR file for each WAR file.
- Spring MVC is a Java MVC framework that does not adhere to the Java JEE standard.
- Spring knowledge is difficult to come by.
Why is it popular?
Spring is the most widely used enterprise Java application development platform. Spring Framework is used by millions of developers around the world to build high-performing, easily testable, and reusable code. The Spring Project is a Java platform that is free and open source.
Companies using Spring
In a nutshell
Determining which project should be written in which language may be challenging for a startup founder or a corporate decision-maker. In several cases, multiple options for bringing the project to life may be successfully implemented. Finding a team that can execute the idea in the best possible way in the shortest period of time is critical. To get the best results, the development team can use the resources that they specialize in.
Online application frameworks have transformed the landscape of programming languages and have become critical in creating any web app. A software interface automates the process of an application’s most important function that involves coding.
There are several backend architectures to choose from, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It’s difficult to say which backend framework is the best because it depends on what you’re trying to accomplish, the learning curve you’ll have to conquer, and so on. That said, hopefully, this list of the best backend frameworks will help you decide which one to use, whether you’re starting a new project or just brushing up on the basics.