A website has various components that help in smooth sailing. But basically, it has two major components: Frontend and Backend. In this article, we will discuss the backend technologies. But before we dive into the top technologies for web application and development, first let us get ourselves familiar with what backend development is, and how it has developed in the last few years.
Everything that is built, say a motor vehicle, has an onscreen and a behind-the-scenes. While we like a good-looking car we also want it to run efficiently. It is the same with websites. Everyone likes a great-looking website, but isn’t it annoying if it lags? Yeah, it is indeed.
Backend development of a website is behind the screen, it helps in making a worksite or application work. It is all about writing a great code that would interact with web browsers and servers. Backend development is the backbone of any website or application as it is what ensures glitch-free experience. The backend development has a client-server technology, as it uses databases from the written libraries to communicate with the server. To put it simply, the view wouldn’t look so good if it’s not working well. So making sure that you have a strong backend development is important.
The technology used to build a strong backbone of a website is forever evolving, in the following section, we’re going to discuss the top 3 technologies that are beneficial in 2021.
Express.js or simply Express is an open-source and free framework that can be used for Node.js. It is a Sinatra-inspired server. This means that it’s minimal.
The official description on the website of Express states: Express is a fast, unopinionated minimalist web framework for Node.js.
Express was founded by TJ Holowaychuk in early 2010. Later in 2014, the rights were acquired by StrongLoop.
● Scalability: With Express, you can quickly scale your application in any manner, using the advantage of its support for Node.js and additional sources.
● Duality: Express is a combination package. You can use it to code both Front-end and back-end using Express. Several platforms enable that, but not quite efficiently as Express does.
● Cost-management: Since Express is a Full-stack development framework, it can save you tons of bucks, which you would have to pay if you had to hire a developer for the front end separately.
Companies that trust their backend responsibilities with Express:
● MySpace: We don’t even need to introduce this website. MySpace was a popular blogging site in the early 2000s. MySpace uses Express for its backend development.
● Netflix: Netflix is one of the most popular video streaming platforms in the entire world. Netflix switched to Express to leverage their performance.
● NASA: NASA is the pioneer of aeronautics. They were facing difficulties in accessing databases for research purposes. That access was slow and required rummaging. So, NASA switched to Express which dramatically improved their database access timing.
If you want a simplified process without having to learn many languages, Express is the option for you.
We love using Express because it’s simple, effective, and satisfies both front and back end needs.
This PHP framework helps in the development of high-end applications. It is an open-source toolbox. Laravel follows a Model View Controller (MVC) architecture pattern. This pattern is based on Symfony. Some of the core features of Laravel have a packaging system with a dependable approach, multi-way accession of relational databases, this, in turn, leads to application deployment and maintenance.
In hopes of getting a better alternative for CodeIgniter, Taylor Otwell created this application in early 2011. Its beta official was released on June 9, 2011, followed by an official release shortly. Currently, Laravel is running its 8th version.
● Authorization: Every website owner wants their website to secure and safe. It is needed to be sure that the user is who he claims he is since some places require gaining access to security/pay portals. Laravel provides a very simple yet effective way of authorization with logic and control while accessing information.
● Mailing: When you think of a website, it is almost impossible to not think of it having mail. Mail is required to send out notifications about registration, various events, offers, etc., Laravel provides support for notification delivery via various channels through a local or cloud-based service. Laravel opts for a clean and simple API, instead of the popular SwiftMailer library.
● Binding of tools: It is crucial to create fast applications, as this accelerates the revenue. The Binding of caching is important to improve performance. Laravel largely supports Memcached. By default, it is set to use the file cache driver. With Laravel, one can even customize various cache configurations.
● Fixing the Vulnerabilities: Security-related loose ends go hand in hand with web applications. SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc., happen to be a couple of them. One must keep in mind to fix them before it is run. Laravel’s codebase is strongly secure and guarded, this, in turn, helps in getting the major vulnerabilities out of the land.
● Error handling: User satisfaction is mainly based on how the software handles various errors. Most errors are countered when a user hits the submit button on a form. If it’s something that the user did wrong, he/she needs to be notified about it with an informative error message. If he/she isn’t informed this will make them think that the website is not working, or out of service which will further push them to not use it ever again. Laravel is configured with the Monolog logging library which supports a good number of log handlers. This will reduce errors and exceptions.
Some of the companies/platforms that trust Laravel:
● 9GAG: 9gag is a social media and an online platform. It allows users to share witty content. 9gag uses PHP, Laravel, and Vue.js for the better functioning of their website.
● BBC: BBC is one of the well-renowned broadcasting organizations. Traditional media aside, they also happen to run multi platform applications. They use Laravel along with Angular, for an overall great experience.
● Ratio: Ratio is a UK-based financial management website, it is an innovation of Fintech. They use Laravel and React.js for efficient browsing and product experience.
● Pfizer: Known as one of the largest pharmaceutical brands in the world, Pfizer, utilizes Laravel in the career section of their website.
● TourRadar: Known for its ways of helping travellers compare and book their tours, TourRadar uses Laravel as a backend framework.
● Crowd cube: CrowdCube is one of the largest crowdfunding platforms. They primarily use Laravel/MySQL coupled with a couple more frameworks.
Laravel is a great option if you have a limited budget but want an advanced and scalable website. Lastly, we like to use Laravel because it provides a secure and hassle-free way of coding.
Loopback is a highly extensive, open-source Node.js framework. It enables you to create dynamic, and secure APIs that can be called by any client. LoopBack comes with a built-in client API explorer. This makes the view of the work easier.
● Faster procedure: Since LoopBack comes with a great number of built-in models and gestures, the processing times reduces by a greater degree.
● Structure: It has a great out-of-box structure that allows us to add codes easily and consistently.
● Sharing: Since loopback is a redesigned framework, it enables the engineers to share code and create services on the client’s side.
● Dedicated documentation: Loopback has a built-in SDK generation tool and API documentation.
Companies that trust Loopback with the mess:
● Go Daddy: GoDaddy is an American domain trading and web posters company. When you want to buy a domain name, you can use this website to do so. Go Daddy is loyal to LoopBack for its backend development.
● FlightOffice: FlightOffice is a British Airways operator, they use LoopBack for their website.
● Haven, Inc: Haven, Inc., is a logistics generating company. It generates logistics for ocean freight companies. Haven is considered a pioneer in the field of shipping logistics. HavenHaven uses LoopBack for their backend needs.
● Foko: It is a retail management website that allows mobile store operations, marketing communications, and store audits. It uses Loopback as its trusted backend development tool.
If your app needs to be broken down into entities, you should opt for Loopback.
We love to use Loopback as it comes with inbuilt and processed functions which leads to saving developmental time. It can be really messy when you have to choose a framework for your needs. Below we are going to compare the aforementioned developing tools.
Express is a lightweight framework with sufficient plugins provided but if you want more then you should definitely opt for Laravel since it provides more built in tools, the only downside is that Lavarel is a heavyweight framework.
In terms of security, Laravel wins the case. It has more authentication than what Express has to provide.
In the case of maintenance, Express is easy to maintain and work with since it’s full-stacked, whereas the maintenance of Laravel is a little bit over.
Where debugging is concerned, Express wins the case since you don’t need to compile your code every time you debug. While Laravel might need a couple of compiling.
In terms of flexibility, Loopback wins it since it is an enhanced modification of Express. When we speak of learning how Express clearly wins that part. If you are working on a small package, Express is a win-win, but if you are working on a more complex application then you should opt for Loopback.
How Can aTeam Help?
Whether you’re looking forward to turning your unique product idea into reality or to upgrading your already existing software, aTeam has got you covered. We offer customized, robust, scalable and highly secure custom web development services to carve the future of your business.
We are a team of exceptionally skilled software developers and have developed dozens of software for over 75+ companies. Our team will analyze your business needs and help you develop and implement any kind of website or application that will improve your company’s efficiency, generate better revenue and take your company to the next level!
aTeam would love to connect and discuss your project with you!
Contact us Today!
Our team looks forward to serving and helping you achieve your business goals. Talk to our expert today! Drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org