The need to use our mobile phones to do almost everything is inevitable. We use our mobile phones all the time and anywhere. One doesn’t need to wonder how fast the Cross-platform app development field is growing. Previously the Cross-platform app development was limited to gaming and social media uses but now, with time the cross-platform development has become more efficient, and hence the commerce sector is catching up with the trends too. Various businesses are opting to invest in Cross-platform app development projects to boost their businesses immensely.
As we know, there are various operating systems for compatible devices. Although, only Android, iOS, and Windows are popular ones. Along with the various existing operating systems, comes the need to develop applications that can run on all operating systems smoothly. Businesses also want to launch applications that run on the most popular operating systems just the same.
Before we get into how having a cross-platform application for your business is a grand option, we would like to tell you what a Cross-platform app development means, what the statistics say about it, how it is different from the native application development, and what frameworks are used in the development.
Cross-platform app development are apps that run on various mobile device operating systems. These apps are compatible with mobile operating systems such as Android and iOS. One single base can be run on various platforms with this technology. This will ensure a fast and better quality app launch. Plus, it can help reach a broad range of the audience as it is mobile-based.
Statistically, Android races past the line in the race of the number of users, popularity, and much more when compared to iOS. But that doesn’t mean iOS has any fewer users.
Also, the number of internet users is increasing day by day if we compare this 2019 study to what we have today. The use of the internet and mobile phones have increased exponentially and it keeps on increasing on a daily basis. This is said in order to make you understand how beneficial it could be if you launch an application for your business.
Aside from that, about 1/3rd of the providers use a cross-platform approach to develop applications, as it gives a wide scope. Targeting a large group of users is only possible if you develop a multi-platform application.
The face-off of different kinds of development and Cross-Platform development
In the IT tone of language, native development uses the OR operator. Simply putting, an application developed in a native environment can only and only run on one platform or operating system. Basically, what is developed for iOS won’t run on android and vice versa. If you want to make your application run on other platforms, it will require more time, code, and money.
Then there are Web-enabled applications, these can be accessed using the web browser of our mobile phones. These apps are written in HTML and CSS, they are also called web pages. These web pages can be accessed from any operating system. These are easier to maintain and surf through.
Now, given those two, both have their balance of pros and cons. For instance, when native can be available offline web apps cannot.
This is where cross-platform applications come into play. As we know Cross-Platform effortlessly runs on various platforms.
Further, we will discuss various pros of Cross-platform app development.
Languages & Frameworks that can be used for cross-platform development
And the frameworks used in designing the front end are:
Along with the mentioned there are many more that work effectively. But these are widely used in today’s market.
Advantages of adapting Cross-Platform application development
In enterprise functionality, the cross-platform application has various advantages, such as:
1. Audience reach: The main aim is to boost your reach. As said, the cross-platform application allows your business to be launched digitally on various iOS, in turn adding to the profits.
2. Cost-cutting: The basic slogan of cross-platform application development is to code once, and use it repeatedly. This makes the codes reusable, and hence the cost of the entire development is reduced by a greater degree. This in terms leads to easier maintenance cutting down those charges too.
3. Reusability of code: One best thing about cross-platform development is that the codes can be reused time and again. The developers don’t have to write new code every time the application is required for a platform. This saves a lot of time and resources.
4. Traditional & Native-like applications: Essentially the basic idea of cross-platform application development is to provide the essence of native development with a more adaptable approach. For example, React Native can create cross-platform apps that are quite similar to those created using native development.
5. Quick launch and customization: Given that it is a single code that gives the application, the complete customization or minor changes are quite easier to deliver. This does really well when business competition is the factor.
6. Flexible cloud integration: A single base code is run and used to enhance scalability and smoothness. And with the given cloud settings, the cross-platform mobile applications can take advantage of the plugins that are made available by the provider.
7. Smoother development: Cross-platform applications have the upper hand when it is concerned to be better and faster, as compared to native development. For example, by the time you finish the code of an iOS application in native development, there would be an application available to run on various platforms made in a cross-platform way. This also provides control over your application.
8. Uniformity: With a single code of various uses, the cross-platform application development provides a unified look and performance over various operating systems. The users like it when there is no discrimination against the look and feel of the app on different platforms. The application developers can also provide a consistent service in a better way since it’s a single code.
9. Prototyping: As a business person, it is essential that you know about the function of prototyping of a given product (if you didn’t know, prototyping simply is concerned with visualization. Or how the application looks. Its main aim is to be user-centric). It also helps in getting you an idea about your product from the market. This in turn helps in improving the areas of concern on a regular basis.
10. Modification flexibility: The market competition requires a business to better itself and its application as per the trends, and with native development, the modification of applications can be time-consuming as well as complex. With the cross-platform application, application modification is simpler and sharper. This enables you with early access to the betterment and keeps your consumers attracted.
11. Stability: The productivity of the employees depends on the application since they use the application to perform their given task. If the application isn’t stable, this in turn curbs the day. If the app isn’t stable and requires to be looked into, it takes an average of two to three hours which may cost the company good thousands of bucks. Since the cross-platform development uses various tools that are implemented with the multi-OS update, it provides stability overall and if there is an app outage it can be sorted easily and using less time.
When should you use a cross-platform application for your business?
There are various times when there is a need to use cross-platform mobile application development. We’ve listed down some of them:
If you are a startup and are looking to stand out on a limited budget, cross-platform is your solution.
When you are running short on time or have a deadline set, cross-platform development is your answer.
Want a highly customized layout for your business on the application? Cross-platform just may provide you with that.
If you like to experiment and test the performance and look of your application, you should opt for a cross-platform application, as it provides a flexible way of modification.
If you’re considering having your same application with a web base in the future, you should opt for cross-platform development as it will help in better implementation.
Companies that have successfully adapted to cross-platform mobile applications
Various businesses have adapted to using cross-platform application development, some of the most successful applications are:
PayPal: It is one of the simplest payment apps to exist. PayPal uses the cross-platform approach for its operations. You can find the same interface and mechanism on different operating systems. The scalability could be different but not much. PayPal offers a simple way to make payments and has a very simple yet effective navigation. Currently, the net worth of PayPal is $50 billion. They wouldn’t be so far if it wasn’t for the cross-platform approach they adopted.
Amazon: who doesn’t know Amazon? Amazon is a multi-use brand. You can find movies, music, books, you can shop whatever you want and whatnot. Amazon uses the cross-platform approach to target the audience of various operating systems. The string of various Amazon applications is available on multi-platforms. And has a great mechanism and good interface, which is congruent to one another. Amazon has a whopping net worth of $1.7 trillion. This, partially is because they targeted and marketed to a big number of audiences using the cross-platform development approach.
Uber : We’ve all ridden an Uber sometimes. Uber provides a great service of travel. Uber owns an application that runs on both Android and iOS. It has the same experience and interfaces in both places. Uber has a net worth of $15 billion. Uber wouldn’t be able to target the large audience that it has if it wasn’t for the adaption of cross-platform.
MedFind : MedFind is an application that enables you to search for a doctor or a pharmacist easily and quickly. MedFind has experience of 30+ years in medical and supplies. It even helps you to identify your symptoms using a questionnaire. Recently, MedFind launched its application that runs on both android and iOS. This is in hopes of reaching a wider audience to help with their illness while also getting higher incomes.
Cross-platform development is accepted by various businesses as well as developers as a great solution to target a big audience and keep them engaged. Cross-platform development of applications comes with its own sets of advantages and disadvantages, as well.
The need for cross-platform development and its results depends on various factors such as what are your aims, how well done you need your application to be, how big your allowance is, the size of your business, etc.
It is although highly advisable to use a cross-platform mobile application for your business than native because it generally saves time and money.
How can aTeam help?
The Cross-platform app development process involves more than just the design and code creating steps. We cater to every aspect of the client’s requirements and understand all fundamentals, including technical documentation, functional requirements and user stories, which is why our clients trust us. Over the years, aTeam Soft Solutions has provided Cross-platform app development services to companies across various markets including fitness, finance, healthcare, construction, retail, consumer products and many more.
With a team of experts and resources, aTeam Soft Solutions extends a hand for helping you take your business to another level. Reach a bigger customer base, increase your revenue, gain success with the right development partner.
aTeam welcomes you at any stage of the development process and assures you a successful launch of the product. We have the team and experience to deliver fantastic applications with innovative features.
Our team looks forward to serving and helping you achieve your business objectives.